16 July 2021
This letter contains important information about COVID and the beginning of the Autumn Term 2021
Thank you for your support and the positive comments that we have received about the educational provision at HTC, and the management of COVID-19. This half-term we returned to as near as possible a full educational provision. The COVID-19 guidance has restricted some activities; however, we have been very pleased to offer an International Arts Curriculum, A Festival of Sport with Sports Day at the Mountbatten Centre, a Drama competition, a Science Fair, Maths Enterprise Day, and a Technology Day for Year 7. Whilst we have not been able to welcome the Year 6 students to HTC for their induction, we have visited them in their primary schools and provided multi-media links via the website. The Head Boy and Head Girl also sent a video message. We will be delighted to welcome the new intake in September.
The last day of the academic year 2020-21 will be Tuesday 20 July. Students leave for the Summer holiday at 11.55 am. The College bus will be available at that time.
Start of the Autumn Term 2021
Year 7 to start HTC on Thursday 2 September (the day will run from 8.25am to 3.05pm). This will be their first day at College and the timetable will fully start on the Friday with the rest of the College.
Year 8 and 9 to start on Friday 3 September (the day will run from 8.25am to 2.10pm). Students will spend Period 1 with their Tutor before the full timetable operates starting with Period 2. Year 8 should arrive and exit via the front right-hand gate and Year 9 via the back gate unless they are on the bus.
Year 10 and 11 to start on Friday 3 September (the day will run from 8.25am to 2.10pm). Students will spend time with their Tutor before the full timetable operates starting with Period 2. Year 10 should arrive and exit via the front left-hand gate and Year 11 via the back gate unless they are on the bus.
Current term 2021
This term we have been delivering the curriculum in the specialist areas. This has enabled greater enrichment and enjoyment for learning. We also have been reinforcing the standards and expectations that we want from students to ensure that they are learning every minute of each day to ‘achieve more than they first thought was possible’. Only a few students are sent to Ready to Learn for not meeting the standards and expectations. We have been grateful for parental support in setting the high standards and expectations. This has ensured that students are clear about what is expected of them for September.
COVID-19 Update – Testing
- There will be no requirement to test during the Summer Holidays, social distancing will be removed although we are reminded to be aware and careful of our own and others’ safety and well-being.
- We are required to perform 2 on-site tests at the beginning of the Autumn Term. To lessen the impact on teaching and learning we have arranged to perform the first test on Wednesday 1 September for Year 10 and 11, Thursday 2 September for Year 7 (as part of the Induction Programme) and Year 8 and 9 on Thursday 2 September. The second test will take place in College the following week. We can use the permission that you provided for the previous testing. If there are any changes to the permission for your child, please let Student Support Services know on Extensions 214 and 209 by Tuesday 20 July. You will be sent a separate letter with the exact appointment time. Please ensure that your child attends where you have given permission.
- After the initial testing at the beginning of term students and staff will be issued with a home testing kit to enable them to test and record twice a week. The present plan is to continue this until the end of September when the Government intends to review the situation. If your child tests positive, please record the result on the NHS website and inform the College.
Getting to and arriving in College
- Students should walk or cycle to College if possible and avoid congregating.
- There are no changes to Bus Route 28a. The updated timetable can be found on the website. All students must wear masks (the Bus Company will not be providing them). Students will be turned away if they are not wearing a mask. Please note that this is the current advice.
- If your child rides a bike to College they must wear a helmet and high viz jacket to come on site. Scooters are not permissible.
Uniform and Equipment
- Students are expected to wear the full College uniform and bring their PE kit for PE lessons. A full list is available on the College website.
- Students should bring their own equipment to College, to include pen, pencil, ruler, rubber along with their coat and bag. The use of mobile phones is not permitted on the College Campus and will be confiscated with parent collect.
TERM DATES AND HOLIDAYS 2021-2022
Staff to return on Wednesday 1 September 2021 for Professional Learning Day. (Year 10 and 11 students invited in for COVID testing 1)
Thursday 2 September 2021 – Year 7 only (COVID testing 1 for Year 7 and Year 8 and 9 students invited in for COVID testing 1)
Friday 3 September 2021-Friday 22 October 2021 – Whole College
Monday 25 October 2021-Friday 29 October 2021 – Half Term
Monday 1 November 2021-Friday 17 December 2021
Monday 20 December 2021-Monday 3 January 2022 – Christmas Holiday
Tuesday 4 January 2022-Friday 18 February 2022
Monday 21 February 2022-Friday 25 February 2022 – Half Term
Monday 28 February 2022-Friday 8 April 2022
Monday 11 April 2022-Friday 22 April 2022 – Easter Holiday
Monday 25 April-Friday 27 May 2022
Monday 2 May 2022 – May Day
Monday 30 May 2022-Friday 3 June 2022 – Half Term
Monday 6 June 2022-Friday 15 July 2022
PROFESSIONAL LEARNING DAYS
Wednesday 1 September 2021
Friday 1 October 2021
Monday 18 July 2022
Tuesday 19 July 2022
Wednesday 20 July 2022
Please note there are amendments to the previously published term dates to incorporate the extra Bank Holiday next year for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.
We say goodbye to the following staff and wish them well for the next step in their career. Mrs Morrish and Miss Knights from Maths, Miss Tomlinson from English, Mrs Deane from MFL and Miss Leggatt, Miss Marriott, Miss Henderson, Miss Rutter, Miss Welfare and Mrs Lewis from the SEN Department.
I would like to take this opportunity to wish you and your family a happy and restful summer break. We look forward to welcoming your child back to HTC in September.
Mrs J A Summerfield